Re: st: rolling regression calculation speed and large data sets

Subject   Re: st: rolling regression calculation speed and large data sets
Date   Fri, 3 Oct 2008 03:11:18 -0400

Malcolm Wardlaw <[email protected]>:
The described phenomenon seems odd to me, and worth some further
investigation, but have you considered generating those variables
using lag operators (h tsvarlist) and a by: prefix instead of looping
over obs and running regressions?  That approach would have the added
advantage of ensuring you are not tripped up by any missing time
periods, assuming you have -tsset- properly (e.g. if some company 36
obs in a row are not for 36 consecutive trading days but for 50, say,
because of missing obs).

webuse grunfeld, clear
ren mvalue y
ren kstock x
set type double
g xy=x*y
g xx=x^2
by com: g sumxx=xx+l.xx+l2.xx+l3.xx+l4.xx
by com: g sumxy=xy+l.xy+l2.xy+l3.xy+l4.xy
by com: g sumx=x+l.x+l2.x+l3.x+l4.x
by com: g sumy=y+l.y+l2.y+l3.y+l4.y
g b=(5*sumxy-sumx*sumy)/(5*sumxx-sumx^2)
reg y x in 1/5, nohe
reg y x in 2/6, nohe
l com y x b in 1/6