Re: st: RE: Random seed revisited 2- how to get random seeds more

From   [email protected] (William Gould, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Random seed revisited 2- how to get random seeds more
Date   Thu, 02 Oct 2008 14:55:43 -0500

Tiago V. Pereira <[email protected]>, in response to my previous
response to his question on resetting the random number seed, writes,

> I thought it would be appropriate to add "a new pseudo-seed" inside
> the loop because I need to do a loop, say, with 1000 replications,
> in which each replication has then it own 1000 replications (e.g.
> a loop inside a loop).  [...] That´s why my message is "how to get
> random seeds more efficiently?".  Any other suggestions?

In my previously repsonse I addressed exactly that issue.  Stripped
of explanation, the operational advice was (1) set the seed once outside
of all loops, (2) do *NOT* reset the seed inside the inner loop, and
(3) if you wish to be able to reproduce individual inner results
in isolation, include -display "`c(seed)'"- at the top of the inner loop.

-- Bill