Re: st: difference between -heckman- and -treatreg-

From   Shehzad Ali <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: difference between -heckman- and -treatreg-
Date   01 Sep 2008 04:33:27 +0100

Thanks, Martin and Mark. I appreciate that the two phenomena of sample selection and endogeneity bias are different in terms of whether or not the outcome variable is observed. But are formulae for hazard/inverse Mills ratios the same for the two cases since they both use a probit model to generate the ratio? Obviously, as you mentioned, the outcome variable and covariates will be different in the probit models for the -heckman- and -treatreg-.

Secondly, once we have the ratio, do both heckman and treatreg use the ratio as an additional regressor in the same way? If this is true, then the difference between the two is only in the probits, and once we have the probit then IMR or Hazard would be calculated and used in the outcome equation in the same way. Is that right?

Finally, why do we call the ratio 'hazard' in -treatreg- and 'imr' in -heckman-?

Thank you,

Shehzad