Re: st: How to weight datasets?

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to weight datasets?
Date   Sat, 30 Aug 2008 20:40:09 -0400

--
Hagen: Please be more specific. In what ways do you want the data sets to resemble the population--for example: to match the distributions of age, gender, ethnicity? How big are the data sets. Are they themselves probability samples with their own selection weights? Are they samples of the "population" you wish them to resemble? Most important: What is the purpose of the analyses you hope to do? Perhaps weighting is not the best solution.

The program -survwgt- available on SSC will weight samples on multiple dimensions. The -poststrata()- and postweight()- options are useful for creating weights to balance on single factors (e.g. age or age-gender combinations). The document http://www.abtassociates.com/ presentations/raking_survey_data_2_JOS.pdf is essential reading.

In the following message I advised someone how to set up "marginals" for use with -survwgt-: http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/ 2007-02/msg00384.html Perhaps it will start you on your way.

-Steve