Re: st: generating houshold size

From   Svend Juul <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: generating houshold size
Date   Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:19:42 +0200

Leonie wrote:

What I want to generate is household income weighted by the number of
persons in the household, but I don't have a variable 'household size'
included in my dataset. What I have is information on each houshold
member from a household grid. This means I have a seperate variable for
each household member.

My question is, therefore, if there is a stata command to sum up the
number of household members over these variables?

If you have the variables mom, dad, c1, c2, c3, ... c20 identifying
household members and if the content is missing if that member does not
exist in this household, you can count the members by:

   egen members = rownonmiss(mom dad c1-c20)

(provided c1-c20 are adjacent in the dataset)

Svend

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000  Aarhus C, Denmark