st: RE: RE: RE: RE: instrumental variable nomenclature

From   "Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: instrumental variable nomenclature
Date   Tue, 26 Aug 2008 08:05:24 -0500

Mark - OK, you convinced me - I think I see that I don't have an
"instrument" after all (except for my bassoon at home). Thanks for your
thoughts on this  - I especiallly enjoyed the Lewis Carroll excerpt.

Al

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Schaffer,
Mark E
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:43 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: RE: RE: instrumental variable nomenclature

Al,

If X is not observable, then you wouldn't say Z is an "instrument" for
it.  That's my understanding, at any rate, of the use of the
terminology.

Of course, you can go down the Humpty Dumpty Econometrics route

http://www.sundials.org/about/humpty.htm

but I'm not a big fan of that approach!

Cheers,
Mark