Re: st: RE: missing std. errors

From   Nishant Dass <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: missing std. errors
Date   Thu, 21 Aug 2008 07:47:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sebastian and jverkuilen,

Like you both mentioned, Stata automatically drops one category.  And as I replied to Richard, I also tried doing it myself, knowing that Stata will drop any one as the choice is "arbitrary".

Sorry about not including my code earlier but here it is now:

reg familyBportwt  Bcurrentniche relbanking familyEportwt $FIRM2 $COVE $FAM q1-q38 ff1-ff10, r cluster(familyid)

As you see above, I have a lot more variables than I posted in my email (only to keep the email shorter while still conveying my main message).  The dummies q1-q38 have no problem but it's the ff-dummies that have missing standard errors.  (As I said earlier, I started with 50 of these ff-dummies but reducing them to 10 with coarser categories also doesn't help.)

I am using robust standard errors, as both Sebastian and jverkuilen suspected, but none of the dummies correspond to the clusters, i.e., "q" and "ff" do not correspond to "familyid".  Yes, I suppose I could run -xtreg- and control for fixed effects of "q" and "ff".

I think what Sebastian said might be true - there might collinearities between these dummies and some other variables.  Also, it is possible that dropping some other category might provide more "stable results".

I will try these and let you know, but thanks a lot for your suggestions and help.

Best,

Nishant