RE: st: choosing Vista versus XP for Stata MP/SE on a 64-bit machine

From   "Tiago V. Pereira" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: choosing Vista versus XP for Stata MP/SE on a 64-bit machine
Date   Wed, 6 Aug 2008 03:27:07 -0300 (BRT)

James wrote:

Personally, I'm a Unix person, when the choice is available, though it
usually isn't except for my home system.

--------------

So, based on your conjecture and if you want to use Stata 64-bit MP/SE
with a nice performance, I believe that you already know the answer: use
linux with a 64-bit version. Try to convince the guys to save their money
regarding the OS if you haven�t already bought Stata 64-bit.

Nevertheless, if you already have Stata 64-bit for Windows, Vista still
seems better than XP 64-bit. However, if one can load 3GB under XP 64-bit,
the difference is small, making the price as well as the support the only
issues to think about.

Assuming that they will be supporting XP until 2014(I don�t believe that),
you are going to have ~6 years. Since you are likely to be from
USA/Europe, this seems to be a fairly nice time. Here, in Brazil, I
wouldn�t do any investiment in an OS knowing beforehand that I will need
to change everything within 8 years, and pay again.

Cheers!

Tiago