RE: st: Re: mvsumm calculation time

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Re: mvsumm calculation time
Date   Tue, 5 Aug 2008 17:29:48 +0100

Kit is one of the authors of -mvsumm-, which can be downloaded from SSC.
I am the other.

My guess is that Austin's code will be faster than anything -mvsumm- or
-rolling- can do.

My guess is also that -- in this instance -- bringing in Mata would not
help at all.

There's no contradiction. -mvsumm- and (even more) -rolling- are
moderately general wrapper commands that set up the machinery for a
variety of calculations. It so happens that the sd of windows of 5 is a
simple enough problem that you can attack it from first principles.

That said, using -double-s might do no harm.

Austin Nichols

Kit and unnamed correspondent:
It will be even faster to use the -by: gen- construct, since that is
written in very fast C code.  If you want a SD over a five-period
window within firm, just do something like:

tsset i t
sort i t
by i: g m=(y+l.y+l2.y+l3.y+l4.y)/5
by i: g v=(y-m)^2+(l.y-m)^2+(l2.y-m)^2+(l3.y-m)^2+(l4.y-m)^2
g sd=sqrt(v/4)

for some existing variable y (the latter 3 commands can easily be
condensed into one to further increase speed at some small cost in
readability). Or am I misunderstanding the nature of the problem?