st: RE: st: correction of some data by age group and for years:

From   carmen gamarra <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: st: correction of some data by age group and for years:
Date   Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:53:50 +0000

My problem is not missing data specifically. Within countries poorly many deaths from cancer of the uterine cervix and uterine corpus are inadequately coded as “uterine cancer not otherwise specified”

Please note: We know that cases coded as "unspecified" belong to uterine cancer, and we need redistribute proportionately all these cases by allocating the deaths to either uterine cervix or uterine corpus cancer according to the age-specific proportions specified as uterine cervix and uterine corpus cancer in each year of study according to recommendations Pan American Health Organization (PAHO).

The PAHO recommendations are that all cases of cancer of the uterus unspecified be redistributed and I need to know which would command in STATA order to perform these distributions.

Age group: 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80 and over
Three type of uterine cancer ("unspecified" uterine cancer, and uterine cervix and uterine corpus cancer)
3 years of study (2004, 2005 and 2006).

I am hoping  you can help me. Please let me know if not clear my question, so I reformulated my question.

Thanks

> Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 05:18:54 +0100
> From: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: st: correction of some data by age group and for years:
> To: [email protected]
>
> You have missing data. This is a serious statistical problem, not a
> datamanagement problem. What you propose to do is a variant on mean
> imputation, which you should not do. If you want to do something about
> missing data, than unfortunately you will have to do quite some
> reading.
> I'd start with (Allison 2002), and than move on to the articles by
> Patrick Royston describing the -ice- package.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Maarten
>
> Allison, Paul D. (2002) "Missing Data", Thousand Oaks: Sage.
>
> Royston, P. 2004. Multiple imputation of missing values. Stata Journal
> 4(3): 227–241.
>
> Royston, P. 2005. Multiple imputation of missing values: update. Stata
> Journal 5(2): 188–201.
>
> Royston, P. 2005. Multiple imputation of missing values: Update of ice.
> Stata Journal 5(4): 527-536.
>
> Royston, P. 2007. Multiple imputation of missing values: further update
> of ice, with an emphasis on interval censoring. Stata Journal 7(4):
> 445-464.
>
> You can find these articles here:
> http://www.stata-journal.com/archives.html
>

> --- carmen gamarra  wrote:
>> I have a specific problem: I need to know what is the command that
>> would allow me to make the correction of some data by age group and
>> for years:
>>
>> The data are as follows:
>> Mortality data of: uterine cervix, uterine corpus and uterine cancer
>> not otherwise specified
>>
>> The problem is as follows:
>> Many deaths from cancer of the uterine cervix and uterine corpus are
>> inadequately coded as “uterine cancer not otherwise specified”
>>

>> I need to know which command in Stata will do the following:
>>
>> To correct this lack of specificity in the assignment of uterine
>> cancer deaths by allocating the deaths coded as “unspecified” to
>> either uterine cervix or uterine corpus cancer according to the
>> age-specific proportions specified as uterine cervix and uterine
>> corpus cancer in each years.

> Maarten L. Buis
> Department of Social Research Methodology
> Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
> Boelelaan 1081
> 1081 HV Amsterdam
> The Netherlands
>
> visiting address:
> Buitenveldertselaan 3 (Metropolitan), room Z434
>
> +31 20 5986715
>
> http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

> Not happy with your email address?.
> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at Yahoo! http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html
> *
> * For searches and help try:
> * http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

Get more from your digital life.  Find out how.
http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home2_082008