RE: st: : RE: list command

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: : RE: list command
Date   Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:53:40 +0100

Not quite.

-egen, count()- does not count distinct values. It counts non-missing
values, regardless of whether they are the same or different.

See the references in my previous post in this thread.

Steven Samuels

I think that Daniel's second example would be:
> Ndc: 00904161260  gpi: 44300040007440
>      00904161260  gpi: 44300040007441

and that he wants to list instances where the same NDC has 2 or more
GPI's.

If so:

bysort ndc (gpi): gen count=_N   // counts number of observations
with the same ndc
list  ndc old_ndc e49_ gpi g64_  if count>1

OR
egen count= count(gpi), by(ndc)

list  ndc old_ndc e49_ gpi g64_  if count>1

If the same ndc gpi combination is listed more than once in the data,
Daniel should first:

bysort gpi ndc: keep if _n==1