RE: st: a simple panel data question: FE and RE

From   emanuele canegrati <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: a simple panel data question: FE and RE
Date   Sat, 2 Aug 2008 17:49:41 +0200

Well the temperature in Milan is around 37 today. That's why I see more "a" than necessary! Sorry Marteen for my English-isation of your name!

Cheers,

Emanuele

> Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 13:44:21 +0200
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: st: a simple panel data question: FE and RE
>
> Maybe one day, email will come with pictures: then statalisters will
> be able to distinguish between Maarten and Martin :-)
>
> Quoting emanuele canegrati :
>

>> As Martin said the best way is to imagine a model written in the
>> following fashion:
>>

>> Y = X*Beta + Z*mu + v
>>

>> where Z is the matrix of individual dummies of NTxT. So in your case
>> you will obtain estimates of mu(1) and mu(2) coefficients.
>> Individual specific effect are unobservable (you don't see them in
>> the regression) and vary across individuals. If you neglet to
>> consider fixed effects as in the previous expression you obtain a
>> biased and inconsistent estimation of the relation between Y and X.
>> With FE option STATA produces automatically the outcome of an F test
>> which tests the joint significance of individual dummies. This can
>> help you to better understand which is the actual relation between X
>> and Y.
>>

>> Hope this help.
>>

>> Emanuele Canegrati
>>
>>> Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 23:03:56 +0100
>>> From: [email protected]
>>> Subject: Re: st: a simple panel data question: FE and RE
>>> To: [email protected]
>>>
>>> One way of thinking about fixed effects (in a linear model) is that a
>>> dummy is added for each unit (minus one reference unit). These dummies
>>> absorb all the observed and unobserved differences between the units,
>>> so it does take the across variation into account. However, you can no
>>> longer describe what a unit level variable, like the average value of
>>> X, does to Y. In a random effects model you can describe the effects of
>>> unit level variables, but at a price: you now have to make a number of
>>> assumptions you did not have to make with a fixed effects model. The
>>> assumption that people like least is the assumption that the random
>>> effect is uncorrelated with the observed variables.
>>>
>>> -- Maarten

>>> Maarten L. Buis
>>> Department of Social Research Methodology
>>> Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
>>> Boelelaan 1081
>>> 1081 HV Amsterdam
>>> The Netherlands
>>>
>>> visiting address:
>>> Buitenveldertselaan 3 (Metropolitan), room Z434
>>>
>>> +31 20 5986715
>>>
>>> http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

>>> Not happy with your email address?.
>>> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses
>>> available now at Yahoo! http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html
>>> *
>>> * For searches and help try:
>>> * http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>>> * http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>>> * http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

>> Explore the seven wonders of the world
>> http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=7+wonders+world&mkt=en-US&form=QBRE
> [...]

Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger�