Re: st: reordering observations

From   Svend Juul <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: reordering observations
Date   Fri, 1 Aug 2008 16:18:17 +0200

Cindy wrote:

I need to reorder one of my variables (from lowest to
highest) without changing the order of other variables
in my dataset. Is there any simply way to do this?

Like, I have now:
var1    var2       var3 ...
3        7             9
2        10           3
7        8             5

And I like to reorder var3 to get:
var1    var2       var3 ...
3        7             3
2        10           5
7        8             9

Please, this is not the -reorder- command which is
already there in Stata, it is something different.

This request confuses me. You want to -sort- one of
the variables in the dataset without affecting the sort
order of the other variables. This comes close to
eliminating the concept of an observation.

But it can be done by splitting the dataset, sorting
the parts, and merging them:

    clear
    input var1    var2      var3
    3        7           9
    2        10          3
    7        8           5
    end
    save data1.dta, replace

    gen key=_n
    sort key
    drop var3
    save data2.dta, replace

    use data1.dta
    keep var3
    sort var3
    gen key=_n
    sort key
    merge key using data2.dta

But are you really sure you want to do this?

Svend

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark