RE: RE : RE : Heteroskedasticity and fixed effects (was: st: RE:Re: Weak instruments)

From   emanuele canegrati <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: RE : RE : Heteroskedasticity and fixed effects (was: st: RE:Re: Weak instruments)
Date   Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:45:23 +0200

There are several ways to estimate standard errors with Panel Data:

1. Clustered (Rogers) Standard Errors One-way

2. Clustered Standard Errors Two-way

3. Fama-MacBeth Standard Errors

4. Newey West for panel data sets

(5. bootstrapped standard errors)

You may prefer Clustered SE one-way in the presence of unobserved individual effects (but not time effects); FM in the presence of unobserved time effects (but not individual effects); Clustered Standard Errors Two-way in the presence of both time and individual effects. Newey West perform well in the presence of unobserved individual effects but should be used as a second best.

In order to detect if the model is one-way or two-way you may perform an F-test where, supposing your e(it) = m(i) + n(t) + v(it), H0: m(1) = ... = m(I - 1) and n(1) = ... = n(T-1).

Hope this help.

Emanuele Canegrati, Ph.D.

Explore the seven wonders of the world