RE: st: RE: Dialog Programming

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Dialog Programming
Date   Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:12:02 +0100

I doubt that any add-on to Word could be written that would be make your
life easier in this respect.

The best way I've found to write help files in SMCL is to use the most
similar existing help file as a template within a text editor smart
about SMCL. In fact, is there any other practical way to do it?

Richard Williams

At 11:23 AM 7/30/2008, Nick Cox wrote:
>3. Complexity is a practical issue. I've encountered Stata programmers
>of long experience who regard the expectation that help files are
>written in SMCL as a reason to retire from the fray, so it's hardly
>surprising that dialogs are a complication too far for many. In essence
>you can't have dialogs without a programming structure to match.

I too rarely use dialogs; I just call up the help on a program.  I
would love to have some sort of super-easy smcl editor, e.g. a "save
in smcl" addon to Word.  For me at least, writing programs is kind of
fun, writing help files is extremely painful.