Re: st: insufficient memory for matrix 11 r(950)

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: insufficient memory for matrix 11 r(950)
Date   Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:50:24 -0400

Dear Jennifer,

matrices are stored in a separate memory location from data. By
expanding the memory allocated for data, you are making things WORSE,
eating up memory, which could otherwise be used to store your
matrices.

Also, do not neglect estimating how much memory you are about to consume:

di 8*438*438*1100/1024/1024
1610.0189
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^MB

Actual consumption is necessarily larger, because of an overhead.
Perhaps someone from Stata, Corp could clarify how much of an overhead
is present, but I guess you must account for R*4*33 bytes for row and
column names (here R is from set matsize R), but then the estimate
overshoots the value reported in maxsize usage.

If you are using Stata 32 - you probably have a very small chance of
storing all these matrices simultaneously.

Note that when you request a memory use report ( -memory- ) memory
consumption is split into two parts: data and other. Grand total must
be however always <2GB on a 32-bit machine, and in practice quite a
lot less.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
   Sergiy Radyakin