Re: st: Interpreting PCA output

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Interpreting PCA output
Date   Wed, 23 Jul 2008 23:03:57 -0500

Oh, that Filmer and Pritchett stuff. Take a look at our working paper
-- http://www.cpc.unc.edu/measure/publications/pdf/wp-04-85.pdf.
Typically the first component is the measure of wealth, while the next
one or two are the measures of structure of that wealth (e.g.
urban/rural difference, etc.). But in your case, you have dummy
variables produces from the same factor (floor material, wall
material, etc.), and they are negatively correlated. Rather than
picking the common variation due to underlying wealth, the PCA now has
to work on explaining those extra correlations.