st: How to perform GLM with nested observations

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: How to perform GLM with nested observations
Date   Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:14:40 +0100 (BST)

Dear List,

I have 500 sites, and each site contains twelve transects.

My dependent variable is the number of bats encountered along each transect.

My independent variables have been measured at either transect or site
level and include:
habitat type (categorical) measured at transect level
distance to nearest water feature measured at transect level
proportion of woodland, measured at site level
density of water features, measured at site level

Is there a way I can include all 6000 observations and all independent
variables (both categorical and continuous and at both scales) in a
GLM-type analysis that, critically, allows for the lack of independence
between observations within the same site, caused by the nested sample
design?

Many thanks,
Katherine

--