Re: st: Code

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Code
Date   Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:49:37 -0400

Dear Ana,

probably something like this to get started:

sysuse auto, clear
sort price
local price_line=5079 /* 228.22 */
local window=5
tempvar obsnum
gen `obsnum'=_n
sum `obsnum' if price==`price_line'
sum price in `=`=r(min)'-`window''/`=`=r(max)'+`window''

Note that there might be more than 1 household right at the level of
poverty line. The above code will take all of them, plus window
households on the sides

Also note that a concept of "being at the poverty line" sounds
strange. Typically there are poor (inc<povline) and non-poor
(inc>=povline) households. Also the chances of a household having
income exactly equal to the poverty line are rather low. Also avoid
direct comparison (income==value) since income is stored as decimals,
and you may run into precision problems if your poverty line is not a
round number, but rather generated automatically in your code, etc,
etc, etc.

Just in case: ADePT Poverty program will do a lot of standard poverty
tabulations:
www.worldbank.org/adept

Best regards,
 Sergiy Radyakin