Re: st: poverty/inequality analysis

Subject   Re: st: poverty/inequality analysis
Date   Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:27:02 -0400

Lola and Stas:
Given Lola's reference to survey data, I assumed she wanted to work
with real income distributions, which are not lognormal (unfortunately
for us programmers).  Here's a silly example reducing the "poverty"
rate (poverty line at 6.2 for no good reason) from 5% to 2% with
either an increase in mean or a decrease in dispersion, holding the
other constant:

webuse psidextract, clear
keep if t==7
g x=_n/100+5.6 in 1/300
kdensity lwage, at(x) g(d0) nogr
g lw1=lwage+.2
kdensity lw1, at(x) g(d1) nogr
sort lwage
g add=-((_n-1)*2/594-1)*.2
g lw2=add+lwage
kdensity lw2, at(x) g(d2) nogr
line d0 d1 d2 x, sort xli(6.2)
su lw*

Note that the mean-preserving decrease in dispersion I used does
generate some reranking.  It so happens the same 12 people are poor
under either transformation, but YMMV.

No idea is that's the kind of thing Lola has in mind or not...

Lola--you may also want to read (for conceptual background)
"Trends in income inequality, pro-poor income growth, and income mobility"
by Stephen P. Jenkins and Philippe Van Kerm in
Oxford Economic Papers 2006 58(3):531-548.