Re: st: Problem opening do.file: help is appreciated

From   Ronan Conroy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Problem opening do.file: help is appreciated
Date   Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:09:36 +0300

On 15 Jul 2008, at 23:54, Carlos Rodriguez wrote:

I was working with a do.file.  I ran all the regressions and saved the
do.file.  Now I try to open the do.file again and get an error message
saying "cannot open file b/c it's larger than 32000 bytes".  I've
tried many times in vain.
As a general tip, it's often possible to tidy a do-file by using - foreach- to run a whole bunch of similar analyses. You can do something like this:

sysuse auto

foreach var of varlist price mpg headroom - length {
di "========================================"
di "Univariate logistic regression for `var'"
di "========================================"
logistic foreign `var'
}

This adds a little header above each piece of output, making it easier to read.

I find that when I finish an analysis I frequently rewrite the do-file like this and produce a definitive set of results for reference.

Ronan Conroy
=================================

[email protected]
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Epidemiology Department,
Beaux Lane House, Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 (0)1 402 2431
+353 (0)87 799 97 95
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronanconroy/sets/72157601895416740/

P Before printing, think about the environment

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/