st: RE: RE: -impute- variable creates only type 'float'

From   Hewan Belay <[email protected]>
To   Stata List <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: -impute- variable creates only type 'float'
Date   Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:16:24 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Bret and Maarten,

Indeed, it looks like both -hotdeck- and -ice- don't have the format-type problem that I highlighted with regard to -impute-. At the same time, substance-related merits and demerits of the three commands aside, it would have been nice to know if indeed I was right that -impute- doesn't allow creating the imputed variables in 'double' instead of 'float'.

So far apparently no "defender" of -impute- stood up to comment on this--I would still appreciate any remarks on this issue if anyone can confirm or otherwise correct my finding with regard to format type of -impute-, which apparently to-date is the only of the 3 that is an official stata command for imputing missing values.

Just a brief aside: Looks like hotdeck is doing a few strange things given the way the programme was coded. E.g. it generates the new stata dataset as "filename.dta1" instead of "filename.dta". To see this concretely, do this:

.. webuse abdata

.. hotdeck nL1 w k using my_imputed.dta, store
DELETING all matrices....

Table of the Missing data patterns
 * signifies missing and - is not missing

Varlist order: nL1 w k

    pattern |      Freq.     Percent        Cum.
------------+-----------------------------------
        *-- |        140       13.58       13.58
        --- |        891       86.42      100.00
------------+-----------------------------------
      Total |      1,031      100.00
 1031
WARNING: When the <command> option is not selected
then no analysis is performed on the imputed datasets

.. use my_imputed.dta, clear
file my_imputed.dta not found
r(601);

.. use my_imputed.dta1, clear

.. d

Contains data from my_imputed.dta1
  obs:         1,031
 vars:             3                          15 Jul 2008 19:10
 size:        16,496 (99.8% of memory free)
variable name   type   format      label      variable label
k               float  %9.0g
nL1             float  %9.0g
..

Regards,