st: memory problem when using odbe to read in large dataset

From   "natalie chan" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: memory problem when using odbe to read in large dataset
Date   Sun, 13 Jul 2008 13:26:53 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

I am trying to read in a dataset with more than 200 variables and 2
million observations. the size of the dataset is 2.1G. I am using
Stata/MP 10 and Ram of the computer I am using is 1G

I set the memory to 500m. the command I used was:

odbc load, table ("firms")

The stata produced the message "obs must be
between 62593 and 62593. As a possible solution, try increasing memory
using  set memory ".

I increased the memory to 700m, which is the maximum possible memeory
I can use, but still it did not work.

 Could anyone here give some advice? Thanks a lot.