st: difficult merging issue

From   Rufus Peabody <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: difficult merging issue
Date   Sat, 12 Jul 2008 20:33:50 -0700

Hey all,

I'm doing an analysis of college football officiating and have a large dataset. Each game played is an observation. There are 7 types of officials, and I have an ID for each official. I have the 7 official variables, but the problem is that officials are not confined exclusively to one type---for example, one official might be "Referee" one game and "Line Judge" another. What I did to alleviate this problem was create dummies for each official (there are 596 in total).

Now, the major issue: I would like to somehow transform this so that each official is an observation and I have mean(penalties), mean(penalty yards), total games, etc. as variables. This would mean there should be 596 total observations. Anybody have any suggestions of how to tackle this problem?

Thanks!
Rufus
*
* For searches and help try: