[no subject]

svyset psu [pweight=pesodef2007], strata(areasalud)fpc(secperarea)

      pweight: pesodef2007
          VCE: linearized
     Strata 1: areasalud
         SU 1: psu
        FPC 1: secperarea

. svy:prop p45
(running proportion on estimation sample)

Survey: Proportion estimation

Number of strata =      11          Number of obs    =   12174
Number of PSUs   =    1266          Population size  = 12172,5
                                    Design df        =    1255

             |             Linearized         Binomial Wald
             | Proportion   Std. Err.     [95% Conf. Interval]
-------------+------------------------------------------------
p45          |
          s� |   ,0994565   ,0023199      ,0949052    ,1040077
          no |   ,9005435   ,0023199      ,8959923    ,9050948

. estat effects

             |             Linearized
             | Proportion   Std. Err.       Deff      Deft
-------------+--------------------------------------------
p45          |
          s� |   ,0994565   ,0023199       -5863   ,855246
          no |   ,9005435   ,0023199       -5863   ,855246
Note: Weights must represent population totals for deff to be correct
when using an FPC; however, deft is
      invariant to the scale of weights.

end of do-file

So the standard error is calculated on the effective sample size (16648;
p(1-p)/se*se) that, if corrected by deft*deft becomes
(16648*0.855246*0.855246) 12177, much closer to the number of
observations than to the number of clusters. That�s the reason why I
comment that for precision, the sample size is a very important
determinant. In fact, there is no disagreement between both points of
views because the total sample size is determined by the number of
clusters and the number of observations per cluster.

What is surprising for me is that in regression in this context, only
the number of clusters count and not the number of individuals per
cluster (or the total number of individuals), as it's been said by
Austin. That amounts to saying that having 1000 observations per
cluster would yield the same precision than having 1.

Cheers,

�ngel