RE: st: Intepreting: "IV estimates are biased towards OLS estimates with weak instruments"

From   "Rodrigo Alfaro A." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Intepreting: "IV estimates are biased towards OLS estimates with weak instruments"
Date   Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:27:22 -0400

///

Erasmo,

This is not a Stata question, but I would like to remark some Austin's
points.

(1) Usually, IV estimator does not have expected value.

Wooldridge (2002) on page 101 discusses this topic in a clear way:
"udner standard distributional assumptions, the expected value of the
2SLS estimator does not even exist". Moreover, under normality the
existence of moments of 2SLS depends on the number of overidentifying
restriccions (how much instruments you have for the endogenous
variables).

Then talking about biased is somehow an approximation with Edgeworth
expanssion and/or in asyntotic terms. For example, using an
approximation of the distribution of IV estimator, Nagar (1959) showed
that the bias of the approximation is proportional to the number of
instruments. Staiger and Stock (1997) takes care of the theoretical
background of weak instruments, but their results are asymptotically!!
Indeed, they showed that LIML and not 2SLS is consistent, we could
relate consistency with asyntotic unbiaseness for this case. Anyway LIML
does not have any well-defined moments at all, so in finite-samples LIML
could be even worse than 2SLS!!

(2) Theoretical and Empirical

Austin pointed you that it is wrong making conclusions from empirical
applications. In other words, you cannot conclude that humans likes
coffee and muffins for breakfast if you are survering only americans!!
You can post questions from empirical issues, then you can try to
generalize that issue with theory or doing some experiments (Monte Carlo
simulations).

Finally, I would like to recommend you some readings that introduces the
topic from simple examples in Hausman webpage
(http://econ-www.mit.edu/faculty/hausman/papers)

IV Estimation with Valid and Invalid Instruments
Jinyong Hahn and Jerry Hausman
July 2003

Weak Instruments: Diagnosis & Cures in Empirical Econometrics
Jerry Hausman
December 2002

Notes on Bias in Estimators for Simultaneous Equation Models
Jerry A. Hausman and Jinyong Hahn
June 2001

Best regards, Rodrigo.

Nagar, A. (1959) ``The Bias and Moment Matrix of the General $k$-class
estimators of the Parameters in Simultaneous Equations," {\it
Econometrica}, 27, 575-595.

Staiger, D., and Stock, J. (1997) ``Instrumental Variables Regression
with Weak Instruments," {\it Econometrica}, 65, 557-586.