Re: st: cluster and F test

Subject   Re: st: cluster and F test
Date   Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:05:23 -0400

sara borelli <[email protected]> :
An individual SE may be OK, in the sense that a test involving only
one coef may have approximately the right size, but e(V) has rank M-1
and so the upper limit on the number of coefs that can included in one
joint test is M-1.  The reported SEs ignore the cov between the 37
estimates; they offer a test of one coef each, ignoring the fact that
you can't actually test all 37, or even 14, jointly.  But in this
case, a test of even one coef is suspect, because you have M-1=13
which is a very small number to consider close to infinity.  50
clusters, or at the very least 20 large balanced clusters, are needed
to be reasonably sure the size distortion is not too large.  In
general, it probably seems like a bad idea to include more variables
than you have effective df, though for the CRSE, Stata will let you do
it, for various reasons.  For example, if you had 50 clusters, 50
fixed effects for cluster and 120 fixed effects for time, you could
include these 170 effects as 168 dummy variables along with one
explanatory variable of interest.  You can never test the joint sig of
the cluster FE nor the joint sig of the time FE, and you will (one
hopes) not be testing smaller groups of these FE either, so the only
test you plan to do in this case is on the one explanatory variable of
interest, with 49 df.  In this case, you should be fine.  Note the
relevant number is M-k, number of clusters less number of constraints.

--Austin