st: RE: advantage of using #delimit ;

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: advantage of using #delimit ;
Date   Wed, 2 Jul 2008 20:10:50 +0100

I personally use
#delim ;
most of the time, because I write so many multi-line commands
(especially when drawing graphs), and I therefore find that remembering
to insert a ; at the end of each command involves less effort than
writing /// or /**/ at the end of each line that does not terminate a
command. Also, I got into the habit of writing ; at the end of commands
when programming in SAS or C. It is also possible to use the ; delimiter
to write multi-column lines, but I try not to write too many of these,
as they make the program less easy to read.

However, when writing Mata programs, I always type
#delim cr
before typing any Mata code, as Mata was designed to work in that mode.

However, the carriage return delimiter seems to be preferred by most
users, most of the time, especially people at StataCorp, who write the
ado-files of official Stata.

I hope this helps.

Roger

Roger B Newson