st: data management issue (names listed differently)

From   Rufus Peabody <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: data management issue (names listed differently)
Date   Wed, 2 Jul 2008 08:15:15 -0700

Hey all,

I'm working with a dataset that contains a few variable containing the name of different college football teams. The problem is, they are not spelled consistently (i.e. Miami(FL) and Miami Florida; USC and Southern Cal). In many cases the spelling differs only in that there is an extra space after the school name for some. What I'd like to do (and I'm pretty sure is possible) is create a master file with all the school names and possible spellings, which I can then somehow merge with my original dataset (and any future datasets with these teams) to create a consistent spelling. How do I go about doing this? Specifically, if I have, say three variables containing spelling 1, spelling 2, and spelling 3 of a school, and I want to use spelling 1 in another dataset, how can I merge with a variable that has some schools with spellling 1 and others with spelling 2 or 3?

Thanks a lot,
Rufus
*
* For searches and help try: