Re: st: Please say where user-written software you discuss comes from

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Please say where user-written software you discuss comes from
Date   Tue, 1 Jul 2008 23:39:55 +0100 (BST)

--- Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> As a Western liberal, I have to conclude that widespread failure to
> follow this advice -- long since part of the FAQ -- must really be my
> fault. As maintainer of the FAQ, I have failed to explain clearly why
> it is a good idea. So here goes, again.

< lots of very good reasons >

One reason that Nick failed to mention is that in quite a large number
of cases, where you got your software is the source of the problem that
you are want to have solved. Many user written packages are available
from both SSC and the Stata Journal. For various good reasons the
packages on SSC are often (but not always) more up to date than the
packages from the Stata Journal, and problems can occur when using the
outdated Stata Journal software, especially in conjunction with other
user written software. The combination of -ice- and -mim- jumps to mind
as an example, or the various versions of -estout-. In these cases it
is crucial to know where you got your package from.

-- Maarten

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam