Re: st: problem in uploading data into Stata - data "changes"

From   Gisella Young <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: problem in uploading data into Stata - data "changes"
Date   Tue, 1 Jul 2008 12:19:44 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you very much Nick for your further comment.

I will go with that approach, and then split the string variable into 2 (as it is actually 2 separate variables to begin with). In case this is useful to anyone else (unlikely I know as this is probably dead obvious to other people), I split the string variable 'col1' into the 2 original variables as follows:
..gen str var1 = substr(col1,-8,8)
..gen str var2 = substr(col1,-22,14)

And since I do need the second one numerically, I then said
..destring var2, generate(var3)

best,
Gisella