Re: st: Stata on Mac or PC

From   Christopher Intemann <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata on Mac or PC
Date   Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:29:59 +0200

Am 26.06.2008 um 18:10 schrieb Glenn Hoetker:

I would probably make this decision based on your preferences for the OS overall, because Stata is pretty much indistinguishable across the platforms. I've run Stata 10 under Windows, Linux (X- windows), and now run Stata MP/2 on a MacBook Pro. It is very fast and acts very "Mac-like", so it is a very smooth process. Taking advantage of some of Mac's under-pinnings, I have built some little tweaks that allow me to, for example, open fully formatted regression tables in Word without any additional user input. Convenient when viewing multiple regressions. I'm sure one can do exactly the same under other systems.

I prefer Macs and love using Stata in that environment. Of course, OS choices are very person-specific.

I prefer Mac as well, however, I wouldn't say that Stata would behave Mac-like at all!
Very many functions are really restricted compared to "real" OS X programs, especially cut'n paste.
Like I mentioned in an earlier posting, to date there is no support for OS X -like text selections (like http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/index_files/rectangular-selections.html) ,
a feature supported by most true OS X apps.
Would be especially nice for extracting results or writing scripts.
Stata MP is announced to be reprogrammed in Cocoa, as Apple will not support 64bit-Apps in Carbon.
Hopefully Stata will become more OS X like in this upcomming release.
Regards,
Chris
*
* For searches and help try: