Re: st: Matching in STATA

From   "Salah Mahmud" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Matching in STATA
Date   Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:25:53 -0600

Hi Henry,

As has been suggested before, I'm not sure that matching in the
setting of pre-collected data is worth the trouble unless you intend
to go back and collect more data on the sampled subset.

The way I see it, matching, when employed during the design phase,
permits control for important confounders while maximizing study
power. Another use for matching is as a way for adjusting for
confounders that are difficult to characterize and quantify (eg
confouding by genetic makeup or neighbourhood). Neither scenarios seem
to apply here but I could be missing something.

Best wishes,

salah mahmud