st: long or wide in survey data

From   Andrea Bennett <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: long or wide in survey data
Date   Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:43:37 +0200

Hi again,

I have a data set in wide format containing survey data. I want to find out what affects as certain set of knowledge related variables. Therefore I tend to generate a knowledge index based on the correct answers. Now, each individual was asked 3 knowledge questions related to one topic while also each individual was asked about 5 topic. So, I have 3x5 knowledge related answers.

Now the question: Would you recommend keeping the data set in wide format and generate an overall knowledge index or else would you reshape the data set to long and only generate a knowledge index for each topic (so basically treating each individual & topic combination as a single observation). When going for long I think I will have to use a random effects model on the basis of each individual and/or use the -vce(cluster individual)- option.

Maybe some of you have some experience on this and could share it?

Many thanks for your consideration,

Andrea
*
* For searches and help try: