st: Manipulating a data structure

From   James Hicks <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Manipulating a data structure
Date   Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:19:05 -0700

Hi all:

I have a simple question (sorry!) about reformatting a data structure.

A simplified version of my current data looks like this:

cou prec		race	mode	votetype	total
1	1		1		1		over	x1
1	1		1		1		under	y1
1	1		1		1		blank	z1
1	1		1		2		over	x2
1	1		1		2		under	y2
1	1		1		2		blank	z2
1	1		1		3		over	x3
1	1		1		3		under	y3
1	1		1		3		blank	z3
1	1		2		1		over	x4
1	1		2		1		under	y4
1	1		2		1		blank	z4
1	1		2		2		over	x5
1	1		2		2		under	y5
1	1		2		2		blank	z5
1	1		2		3		over	x6
1	1		2		3		under	y6
1	1		2		3		blank	z6
1	2		1		1		over	x7
1	2		1		1		under	y7
1	2		1		1		blank	z7
1	2		1		2		over	x8
1	2		1		2		under	y8
1	2		1		2		blank	z8
1	2		1		3		over	x9
1	2		1		3		under	y9
1	2		1		3		blank	z9

etc...

This pattern repeats first for a number of different values of 'race',
and then all over again for several values of 'prec'. 'Cou' is uniform
within each of the datasets. Since the smallest unit that we want to
analyze is cou x prec x race x mode, I'm trying to make the data take
on this more compact shape:

cou	prec	race	mode	over	under	blank
1	1		1		1		x1		y1		z1
1	1		1		2		x2		y2		z2
1	1		1		3		x3		y3		z3
1	1		2		1		x4		y4		z4
1	1		2		2		x5		y5		z5
1	1		2		3		x6		y6		z6
1	1		3		1		x7		y7		z7
1	1		3		2		x8		y8		z8
1	1		3		3		x9		y9		z9
1	2		1		1		x10		y10		z10
1	2		1		2		x11		y11		z11
1	2		1		3		x12		y12		z12
1	2		2		1		x13		y13		z13
1	2		2		2		x14		y14		z14
1	2		2		3		x15		y15		z15
1	2		3		1		x16		y16		z16
1	2		3		2		x17		y17		z17
1	2		3		3		x18		y18		z18

So, I want to turn the 'votetype' variable into three separate
variables for each of its values. I thought this was a case for
reshape, but I can't seem to produce the right result. Can anyone
point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

James