RE: st: 64 bit Stata for the Mac /feature request

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: 64 bit Stata for the Mac /feature request
Date   Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:07:38 +0100

FWIW, I think this analysis is spot on. Naturally, I'm happy if users
get the extra features they want, either in the do-file editor or in
interfacing external editors and Stata, but many requests of this kind
seem to overlook these simple facts.

Phil Schumm

[...]

The question of whether StataCorp should add features to its do-file
editor has been addressed several times before on the list.  As
several have noted, many of the users who find it inadequate would
also find inadequate any editor except their preferred one.  These
users want to be able to use the same text editor for everything
(e.g., data-analytic work, coding, writing, etc.), and have invested
considerable effort in learning how to use their text editor
efficiently and/or customizing it to suit their needs.  StataCorp may
decide to add features to their do-file editor in the future (since,
clearly, there are a lot of users who use it), however my suggestion
would be to take your preferred editor and figure out how to use it
well with Stata; that way, you'll be happy whatever StataCorp does.