st: Hosmer-Lemeshow statistic

From   "Mitchell F. Berman" <[email protected]>
To   Stata List Server <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Hosmer-Lemeshow statistic
Date   Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:19:37 -0400

Stata list users:

I need to manually run a Hosmer-Lemeshow goodness of fit statistic.

Using the lbw data (reference manual: logistic section)

running the logistic as it appears in the manual, followed by the estat gof gives the correct HL statistic and a table.

xi: logistic low age lwt i.race smoke ptl ht ui
estat gof, group(10) table

How is Stata getting from the table with observed and expected values to a chi2 of G-2 =8 degrees of freedom? What form of chi2 are they using. Can anyone reproduce the HL statistic from the table with a call to a form of chi2 available in Stata?

I need to reproduce and modify this step.

Thanks in advance.

Mitchell Berman
Columbia University
New York, NY