RE: st: perceptual maps in Stata

From   jverkuilen <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: perceptual maps in Stata
Date   Fri, 30 May 2008 19:29:38 -0400

###I was hoping to avoid some coding,  but the consensus seems to be to
just use pca or factor.###

I checked the documentation and -biplot- (under Multivariate) is probably what you're looking for. It makes the usual pretty pictures, plus it gives the row and column scores. The control you get over plots is substantial, allowing you to plot both object and subject scores together very nicely. It is discussed thorough in the Multivatiate manual.

If the data are categorical, look at multiple correspondence analysis (well joint correspondence analysis, JCA, is better, but it's an option in -mca-). Again see Multivariate.

-factor- is a rather different beast because PCA and true factor analysis have very different underlying assumptions.

JV