st: RE: Stata code to run R code from within Stata and return certain pieces of the results as Stata macros

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Stata code to run R code from within Stata and return certain pieces of the results as Stata macros
Date   Fri, 30 May 2008 18:41:42 +0100

I am only a very occasional user of R and certainly do not qualify as a
R programmer but my guess on general software grounds is that this
request falls between two stools.

Either you want some specific link-up of Stata and R functionality, in
which case you need to spell out what you want.

Or else you are asking for a very knowledgeable piece of software that
knows an awful lot about R and about Stata. I can only imagine that
anything smart enough to be as  versatile as you want would also have to
have so many hooks to handle all the possibilities that it would be very
difficult to write and very difficult even to use.

I'd be happy to be wrong on that.

Salah Mahmud

Just wondering if you know of tried and tested Stata code (do or ado)
that would run a piece of R code from within Stata and return certain
pieces of the results as a Stata macro.

For instance, I would like to call an R function that would perform
certain calculations on certain variables (that also has to be
exported to R) and then return certain pre-specified info (from the R
object) such as a P-value as a Stata macro. Perhaps a  combination of
rsource, outsheet, some R object parsing and intext  that hides all
the mechanistic details of running R from within Stata.