st: merging without repeat obs in master dataset

From   "Mingfeng Lin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: merging without repeat obs in master dataset
Date   Thu, 22 May 2008 22:51:22 -0400

Greetings!

The -merge- command in Stata requires that the variable to merge
uniquely identify observations in the master dataset.  But how should
I merge if the variable I would like to merge on does not uniquely
identify master dataset observations?

For instance:
Master: ID GROUP
(multiple IDs could be in the same group)

Using dataset:   GROUP GROUPDEMOGRAPHICS

I wanted to do
.merge GROUP using ..., sort

error message r(459):  something that should be true of your data is not;

My final dataset should have each ID as an observation. Is there
something I can do to work around this?

Thank you!

Mingfeng