st: platform/OS/ver for max mem?

From   "Frakt, Austin" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: platform/OS/ver for max mem?
Date   Thu, 8 May 2008 12:14:52 -0400

Hello,

Our research group loves and uses Stata except when analytic files are
too large, in which case we reluctantly and with a heavy heart turn to
SAS. We recently had a brainstorm that we might be able to use Stata
exclusively if we only had a machine with more RAM and an operating
system and Stata version that could take full advantage. I made an
inquiry to Stata Corp. in this regard and am told that on a 64-bit
Windows machine we may well be able to run a 64-bit version of Stata
with quite a large amount of allocated memory. The Stata Corp.
representative said that (s)he had encountered Stata sessions with as
much as ~30GB allocated.

Are there members of this community that have done such a thing, i.e.,
worked in Stata with files of this size or larger? If so, did you use a
Windows platform or another? What is the upper limit on the memory you
have allocated and used in Stata? What, if any, problems have you
encountered?

Thanks for your help and advice. Becoming equipped to run jobs of this
size would be a non-trivial expense for our group so I want to be as
informed as possible in advance of all the issues before we proceed.

Austin Frakt, PhD
Health Systems Research Scientist,
Health Care Financing and Economics
Research Assistant Professor of Health Policy and Management,
Boston University School of Public Health