Re: st: programming with stata

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: programming with stata
Date   Sun, 4 May 2008 19:31:57 +0100 (BST)

--- Tunga Kantarci <[email protected]> wrote:
> But I also don't see why I should choose what others choose.
> One is alone in learning the language anyway.
> If combining mata with higher level language of stata is very
> valuable, why should I follow what others do.

This is just a matter of convenience. If you want to work together with
other persons, than it is convenient that you speak the same language.
Also, having experienced people in the same coridor is very convenient
whenever you get stuck.

> Could you make your following statement more explicit:
> "it is very easy to make a command that is indistinguishable from a
> standard Stata command"
> In terms of writing a complete time series model, for instance, what
> would "making a command" mean?

As long as you store your ado file along the adopath (see: -help
adopath-) your commands will be available to the user as any other
command in Stata. The .ado file can contain Mata procedures. A good
resource is the netcourse 151: Introduction to Stata Programming
(http://www.stata.com/netcourse/nc151.html). Also the forthcomming book
by Kit Baum "An Introduction to Stata Programming" should prove useful.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081