st: Collinearity in svy

From   "Simon, Alan (CDC/CCHIS/NCHS)" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Collinearity in svy
Date   Fri, 2 May 2008 09:21:58 -0400

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas about how to measure
multicollinearity of variables in a complex survey design data set, when
many of the variables are categorical.

There is some guidance on the UCLA website about how to do this when
variables are continuous, but I can't seem to use this approach with
categorical data.

The website essentially suggests using each variable as a dependent
variable in a separate regression  using all other variables as
independent variables, and then using the following command:

display "tolerance = " 1-e(r2) " VIF = " 1/(1-e(r2))

to calculate the Variance inflation factor.  However, this only seems to
work if the dependent variable is continous and the regression is OLS.

Is there a way to measure the variance inflation factor for categorical
variables in a complex survey design?  Or is there a better way to
approach this problem?

Thanks,

Alan

Alan E. Simon