st: RE: Re: nonlinear constrained estimation and "makecns"

From   "fm514" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: nonlinear constrained estimation and "makecns"
Date   Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:49:32 +0100

I'm sorry, probably I just made things a bit uclear in the attempt of
simplifying my question too much. I just wanted to focus the attention on
those two equations. I am not sure I can use SUR since I am instrumenting X3
in the model.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Kit Baum
Sent: 28 April 2008 11:28
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Re: nonlinear constrained estimation and "makecns"

First this is not a simultaneous system, as Y1 and Y2 only appear on the
LHS. So it is a problem for SUR, not 3SLS, as all variables on the RHS are
exogenous in the system you describe.

Second 'makecns' will not do any good for nonlinear constraints. It is
appropriate for y = X b + u s.t. R b = r, where you want to make the matrix
R and vector r. Nonlinear  constraints cannot be handled by this framework.

Third it should be straightforward to do this with the -nlsur- command, as
it is specifically designed to handle nonlinear systems of non-simultaneous
equations.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html