RE: st: Using Bayesian Information Criterion (BIC)

From   "Lorena Barberia" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Using Bayesian Information Criterion (BIC)
Date   Wed, 23 Apr 2008 23:30:56 -0300

Thanks to Rodrigo and Stas for your helpful comments.

I was trying to implement the BIC per the recommendation of an article by
Beck and Katz titled "Time-Series-Cross-Section Issues: Dynamics, 2004" that
advocates and calculates the BIC for different specifications of a pooled
OLS regression with panel corrected standard errors (e.g. AR1 model vs.
lagged dependent variable model with standard errors estimated with XTPCSE).
In the article, the authors argue that the BIC performs better than the
F-test for testing if fixed effects are necessary.  The paper can be
downloaded from Nathaniel Beck's website at NYU. It should be noted that the
authors do not advocate or apply the BIC to GMM.  I had also read the BIC
note in Stata.

I will look into this further. Your comments have been very helpful.

Lorena