st: Correct weight for Factorial Analysis

From   "rafaelcla" <[email protected]>
To   "statalist" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Correct weight for Factorial Analysis
Date   Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:20:38 -0300

Dear Statalisters,

I�m facing a problem while trying to perform Factorial Analysis. Hope someone can help me.

I have a dataset of food acquisition data (indicating the average per capita acquisition of some food groups) where the unit of analysis are clusters of household (basically it is an aggregated dataset of household food acquisition data). The original dataset contain a �probability weight variable� (PW) which has been used for the analysis so far. The problem is that I can not use the �pw� to perform Factorial Analysis (fac command).

Should I just not weight the data while performing factorial analysis?

Another option would be to create other weight variable, pointing the number of households contained in each cluster, and use the analytical weighting (aw). Would this be more desirable than use no weight at all?

I use stata 9.2

Thank you very much.

Best

RClaro