Re: st: dangerous preserve

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: dangerous preserve
Date   Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:41:15 -0400

I agree to Nick's earlier comment about sharp knives. I do not agree
to Nick on the point that it is easy to write a wrapper around
"preserve" that would properly issue warnings, that Martin wishes. If
I write a safepreserve.ado which issues a warning, then preserves,
then whatever it preserved will be restored after it terminates. The
behaviour of preserve is necessarily built-in, since a corresponding
-restore- statement must be issued automatically after the end of the
current block of the program, even if it crashes. AFAIK this behaviour
can not be replicated with legitimate Stata syntax. Something can be
done with tempfile->save->capture{do something}->use,clear But it
restrictively disables all output. (How wonderful programming in Stata
could have been, if -capture- didn't do two things at once:
1. suppress the output
2. get the error code
These tasks should be performed by two different commands)

2Martin: the situation is directly opposite to the Windows Clipboard
(where the contents is lost when you copy the new content there
without any warnings). -Preserve- protects the data which is currently
in the memory, but not the source of the data that has been preserved.
Once you "preserve" any subsequent calls to -preserve- would be
denied, unless you directly specify "restore, not". "Preserve" should
also not be confused with "protect" as Excel understands it
("protected cells"). However, I would really like to see "protected
variables" in Stata, as working with plugins I have been bitten a
couple of times already, when the values were sent to the wrong
variables.

A surprisingly easy way of making sure you don't accidentially harm
your data is to have it read-only (every OS I am familiar with has
such a file-attribute). AFAIK Stata can't modify read-only files, even
if you press Ctrl+S and confirm overwrite or specify "replace" option
after save.

I don't see how logging the actions can protect the data from being
overwritten, and having do-files with same names as dta-files is a bit
idealistic.

Having an option to protect the data that is being opened would be helpful:

//**** here is my turn to be ideallistic :) *****************
use "myfile" , readonly
// keep "myfile" open and protected from writing
// do something risky, which can potentially hurt  "myfile"
release "myfile"

If release is never issued, file could remain protected until the end
of the session.

Best regards,
   Sergiy Radyakin