RE: st: trend in ORs across ordered levels of a 3rd variable

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: trend in ORs across ordered levels of a 3rd variable
Date   Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:56:10 -0700

This sounds like a task for logistic regression using the confounder and
the risk factor.  If you want to see if there's effect modification, use
the product of the risk factor and confounder.  You may want to
categorize these variables.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Visintainer,
Paul
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 12:01 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: trend in ORs across ordered levels of a 3rd variable

Joseph,

Thanks for your input.  But I don't think -epitab- addresses this
question.  The output you provided gives the trend in ORs "adjusting"
for the confounder.  What I wanted to know is whether we can detect a
linear pattern of the ORs over levels of the confounder (which, to me,
looks like a specific type of interaction)

Another example:  suppose I want to know whether there is a difference
in the risk (odds) of death between males and females from trauma.
Suppose my third variable is level of consciousness (ordinal variable
measured at 4 levels).  Say, my output shows that as level of
consciousness decreases, the OR for gender and death increases:  (e.g.,
ORs at each level of consciousness: 1.0 at level 1, 1.5 at level 2, 1.9
at level 3, and 2.3 at level four), which suggests that men do worse at
lower levels of consciousness.

I suppose that one way to address this is to approach it as if
consciousness were a continuous variable, then look at the slopes for
consciousness in logit models run separately for men and women.

I can't think of any other approach.

-p

Paul F. Visintainer, PhD
School of Public Health