Re: st: Z-scores of adult heights

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Z-scores of adult heights
Date   Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:17:59 +0100 (BST)

Standardizing within (ethnic/cohort) groups or across these groups is a
tricky issue. If you standardize within groups, how can you compare
across groups, because now these groups are measured in different
units. However, when you use some agregate distribution, others will
complain. I don't think there is a solution to this problem that will
make everybody happy, so just choose the most convenient and shrug
whenever someone complaints.

-- Maarten

--- Richard Palmer-Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dear Readers
>
> I want to calculate z-scores of adult male and female heights of
> different ages using reference population standards (e.g. healthy
> western populations). This is readily done for children, but I am not
> clear what distribution parameters to use for adults. I can see some
> debate about changing adult heights in western populations, and also
> differences by ethnicity and income, so population parameters (such
> as
> from NHANES) would not seem suitable.
>
> All suggestions welcome.
>
> Richard