Re: st: question about smcl

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: question about smcl
Date   Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:04:01 -0400

I believe that SMCL is not difficult on it's own. The problem, as far
as I can see, is in it's originality. There is plenty of books,
websites, forums on HTML; not as many, but still numerous on TeX or
PostScript, but try to find one on SMCL? The problem however is wider
I think, since other sides of Stata have the same flaw: we now have a
Stata language, Mata language, a special language for writing dialogs
(and scripts within), another for SMCL, etc. It is not a problem that
there are a few new commands, the problem is in new "conventions" and
"rules of the game". Some unification is I think very much desired
here.

For those who think about writing help files, I suggest taking one of
the supplied help files and change the text all-over within to your
text, keeping the formatting commands. It is so much easier than
starting from scratch. Alternatively, I don't see any problem in
supplying help in HTML/PDF format, since it can be open anywhere Stata
runs now. A simple smcl-wrapper with a single link to this file and
text informing the user that the help is located in that file is
enough and can be done easily.

Best regards,
   Sergiy Radyakin